Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

6 Podcasts I'm Loving

Lately I have become absolutely addicted to listening to podcasts.  That’s what I listen to in the car now instead of music …. Except when I’m with C because he has not jumped on the podcast bandwagon yet.  While I have a large list that I listen to, I find myself pulled back to the same few favorites over and over.

SERIAL

The one that started it all for me.  I’ve listened to Serial probably about three times now.  For those who have been under a rock lately and haven’t heard of it yet*, Serial is the telling of a story week by week.  The first season was about a murder from the 90s in Baltimore in which the ex-boyfriend was convicted.  The story really revolves around if he did it, who it lying, why are they lying, and what the heck happened that day. If you even remotely enjoy true crime stories or Law and Order type shows, I recommend this one whole heartedly.  I can’t wait until the second season comes out.

Favorite Episodes : Ummmm …. All of them?  The Alibi  //   What We Know   //   Route Talk

THINKING SIDEWAYS :  

This podcast is my current favorite.  In the simplest terms, it’s all about unsolved mysteries.  Topics range from the Mary Celeste, to Jack the Ripper, to the Arthur Seat Murder Dolls, to stone circles. 
Another awesome part of this podcast is the dynamic between the three hosts - Steve, Devin and Joe.  The episodes never feel rehearsed and canned.  They feel like you and a group of friends are sitting around discussing these things and throwing out ideas and facts.

Favorite Episodes :  Jack the Ripper  //  The Dyatlov Pass Incident //  The Mysterious Death of Edgar Allen Poe  //  Lisanne Froon and Kris Kremers

WELCOME TO NIGHTVALE

While the first two are true story type podcasts, Welcome to Nightvale is pure made-up enjoyment.  I have laughed out loud to this on multiple occasions.  WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE is a twice-monthly podcast in the style of community updates for the small desert town of Night Vale, featuring local weather, news, announcements from the Sheriff's Secret Police, mysterious lights in the night sky, dark hooded figures with unknowable powers, and cultural events.

I also just found out that they are touring with a live show right now. 

Favorite Episodes :  Pilot  //  Station Management  //  A Story About You

THE LIVELY SHOW :  

This is my go-to blog when I am looking for business and blogging inspiration and just general life stuff.

Favorite Episodes :   All of them --- I pick and choose depending on what I need help with at the moment.

KNIFEPOINT HORROR

This one guys.  This one is so good.  All the stories are written by the same author, Soren Narnia, but read by different people. 

Favorite Episodes : town  //  cult  //  rebirth

NERDIST :

Okay – this one is also my current favorite.  What?  A girl can have two favorites.  This one feeds my nerdy, fan girl side.   I fell in love with Chris’s interview style from The Talking Dead (The Walking Dead’s aftershow on AMC) and got unreasonably excited when I learned he had a podcast.  I legit squealed with excitement when I learned that he has episodes with some of my favorite people – Wil Wheaton, Felicia Day, Nathan Fillion, and SO.MANY.MORE.  Seriously, if you are at all into anything that could even remotely be considered nerdy, check out this podcast.  There is something for everyone on it …. Even if you end up not listening to some of the back episodes like me.

Favorite Episodes : The First w/ Tom Lennone (made me laugh out loud throughout the whole thing) //  Felicia Day //  Wil Wheaton  // Nathan Fillion  //  Simon Pegg  //  Big Bang Theory

As you can see, there is a bit of a theme to the podcasts I like – mysteries, horror, and nerdy goodness.

Oh – and I listen to all of these through "Podcast Addict" on my Android phone.  I used a different manager app before, but didn’t like it as much.  Podcast Addict is super easy to use and has a nice layout.  And it’s free, so that’s awesome too.

I’m looking for recommendations --- do you have any favorite podcasts that I just have to check out?  Let me know in the comments below.

Just so you know // I was not paid or asked to sing the praises of any of the podcasts or the manager app I use.  I just love them all so much I wanted to world to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment