Pages

Monday, May 25, 2015

On My Shelf // May 2015

Whoops - this was supposed to go up on Friday but apparently I never hit publish.  My bad.  I also feel like I read more books, but can't for the life of me remember them.

Brief Gaudy Hour: A Novel of Anne BoleynBrief Gaudy Hour: A Novel of Anne Boleyn by Margaret Campbell Barnes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I am a HUGE fan of Tudor era books. I'm not sure why, but the history of the time with all the politics of being at court just draw me in. That said, I really enjoyed this book. It's, in the simplest terms, a(nother) book about the rise and fall of Anne Boleyn. I enjoyed that they didn't paint Anne as a horrible shrew with no redeeming qualities (like they do in a lot of books). She was flawed, but was human.


Lizzy and JaneLizzy and Jane by Katherine Reay
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed 'Lizzy and Jane'. I read it all in an afternoon when I was sick. I loved that the characters were flawed in a realistic way that made them easy to relate to. I didn't feel like the flaws were a story device, but almost as if the characters where real people. It made me want to actually get to know them in real life.

I would recommend this book to any reader who is looking for a fun, quick read


Wylding HallWylding Hall by Elizabeth Hand
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

"Wylding Hall" - Good. Would have preferred a slightly more straight forward format instead of the bits from people here and there. Would have loved more detail. Still not 100% sure what the connection to the finches and that hill with Julian and Nancy was. Left me slightly confused - but good bones of a story.

View all my reviews

Both "Lizzie & Jane" and "Wylding Hall" came from NetGalley.com - which provides free books for honest reviews. 

No comments:

Post a Comment